Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Agony (Ironically) of 2015

Gather ye rose-buds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day,
To-morrow will be dying.

The poem above was beautifully crafted by Robert Herrick, with a title To the Virgins, that later was installed in a script of one of the most best-screen movie ever, Dead Poets Society, in which it was read during the first class with Keating to introduce the concept of “carpe diem” to his students.

The poem reminds me on the very last day of, 2015, about living the moment, enjoying the very minute of life. That the current is counted, that here and now, is the joy to swallow. Its about seize our day. It is about endeavouring the present, as what indicating by Horace in his Odes about 2000 years ago in Rome.

31 Dec. 15, we are all being the same, unfortunately forgetting what has been taught by Horace. We disgracefully rewinding back the past 365-days and start counting all the misplaces, misjudges, the sorriest, the scratch, scars and wounds, that occurs in our life.

It's so simple because we are all human beings.

And, the human being is full of weaknesses. Same here, to myself.

The swelling tendency of the needs to hit the peak, and to seek for validation from outside which ironically becomes the sheer agony throughout 2015, I should say (irony upon irony) I am here do not give a single heck for that.

If anyone ever asks me about the very topic, this would be likely my answer for them. I thought, what Keating tried to seek from his students is the ability to believe in themselves without looking to external for validation and to define the meaning of freedom itself, since “… you must strive to find your own voice.”

That should be adequate to conclude my 2015. And, then, there you are, 2016. I have no ideas whatsoever, what will you be looking for the next upcoming 365-days. What I always have in mind, is to seek for happiness. I hope, again, it will be ample for us both to walk the aisle together shoulder to shoulder.

What defines happiness, anyway?

By giving back, I think. By being vigorous. By being distinctive.

By being unconventional. Don’t you remember what Robert Frost has taught us about The Road Not Taken?

By being unsatisfied for more. By always asking, why?

It is happiness.

2016 will be a year of emerging. It first starts with +Initiative for Malaysian Humanitarian (INSAN). This is my vow to bow. The foremost is to position INSAN onto the national map. It will be such paramount task for myself and the team, albeit there is an opportunity to seize our day. INSAN will emerge strong, I promise.

INSAN is not a mere charitable body. We are more than that. We shall strive 3 main pillars: advocacy, human developments and volunteerism. That’s our insight on INSAN. To accomplish this, we need support, especially financial and expertise – which 2016 hopefully will turn out to be something for INSAN.

The hungriness for more – knowledge. Yes, it is. I will read more. No option left. What I remember, I survive 2015 by reading less fictional works and put more time into repository works instead. Perhaps, for 2016, I should be more vigorous. And smart, too. Reading is compulsory, so be it.

Sure, it is happiness what we deem fair. We are not living to fulfil any alien’s expectations. We are living for what it takes for us, quoting Walt Whitman, to create our own verse and to contribute our very own verse. Mr Keating dutifully heeds this life’s lesson. So we are, optimistically.

O me! O life! of the questions of these recurring,
Of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities fill’d with the foolish,
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light, of the objects mean, of the struggle ever renew’d,
Of the poor results of all, of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me,
Of the empty and useless years of the rest, with the rest me intertwined,
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?
Answer.
That you are here—that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.

2016, what will your verse be?