Skip to main content

A Reflection on Global Startup Youth

About 500 youth around the world was gathered at Kuala Lumpur start yesterday, Oct 8.

The keynote speakers, facilitators, kept talking about the program’s primary objective is to breed a new generation of entrepreneurs which been able to solve some world problems in education, health, women empowerment and the environment.

The expectations are very high, as I start to wonder how in the less than 72 hours, each team, which at least got 10 people around the world were able to come out with an app to solve a particular problem’s addressed.

My teammate from Philippine, Franz have said that the program is just like Startup Weekend but its kind much more challenging because the organiser gave an expectation for us to come out with the prototype of an app by the end of the program and make a pitching to compete for the ideas among the teams.

Like the other team, my team included youth from USA, Philippine, India, Malaysia, Cameroon and Jamaica. And till now we are still waiting for the arrival of our Jamaican teammate since he got some issues about his flight ticket. He’s a coder for our team.

But it's OK, we still proceed even our group only got one coder  Franz, or we simply called a programmer. Sound hard right?

Paused.

Guys, Dwayne just arrived. So our story's gonna be a bit different. It was the 2nd day of GSY.

It is intense while everyone got ideas on what the environmental problem that we need to solve through our app. One guy said we need to address a wastage food problem, the other one suggested about a trash-tracking app, also got an idea about endangered species conservation.

Mine, I have gone for the notion about practising a low-carbon lifestyle.

A second, we have an excellent welcome dinner after all!

Making short, our group solidly chooses to present the idea of how the web-based app can save many endangered species in the world.

Basically, the app was named as AniBuddy, a combination of animal and buddy which means the app will prepare a platform for the users to adopt an animal or more by making donations to feed, preserve their habitats and cure the diseases.

When this idea was pop-up, the very first question is, the existing app or kind of online adoption is enormous and already boost by the establishment like WWF, LionsTigersandBears.com to name a few and much more.

Our difference is, AniBudy offering the users to make online donations, adopt the animals and keep updating the animals progress through pictures and videos, and purposely they were able to show-off their adopt animals in all social medias they have. Sound crazy right?

OK, let’s talk about the target market. We are targeting Western teenagers, or just put the North America teenagers which most of them viable to the internet connection.

The statistic by the Pew Research Center said, 93% of American teenagers from 12 to 17 years old go online and also give the same percentage of youth from 18 to 29 years old.

The most interesting facts, Kaiser Family Foundation state they are on average 10 hours and 45 minutes online every day.

How this app gonna get a donation from youth? Aren’t they capable of doing so?

Yes, absolutely. According to 2012 Millennial Impact Report, there is about 75% of young adult in North America was make online donations and 1% from that preferably make online donations to help endanger species and environment.

And the interesting part is, most of the American youth got their own credit card since the high school, which 42% of students there already own the credit card. The number was huge, the market was there. The only left blank is the app must be built in a very excellent user experience and gave some value add-up compare to the existing platform.

Human tend to share something funny online as long it makes them laugh. We use a funny meme as our animal profiles as the attraction for users to share their donation activities through AniBuddy to their friends and encourage their online networking to do the same!

Basically, this is the rough idea which it still needed for a very in-depth research especially when we questioning about the feasibility of the national parks to manage the donations and keep updating the animals progress.

We do have a milestone for the first stage that is the donations will enough to save at least 8 endanger animals. It about to reach some amount of money and put it onto a responsible body to manage the donations and saving the species at African continent.

Just forgot about the app, let move to the pitching day. We practice and practice, and myself busying with all the data and figures. Agnes was done her part pretty well. Franz, Valeri and Dwayne also did a fantastic job. The market research team also did a great job ya. In less than 36 hours, the app was build!

I still remember when Franz said on the very first day, the expectation by GSY organiser is seemed impossible. By the way, we and all GSY participants make it through.

The pitching session, we are the last team in line. The pitching is not so great since it does not reach my expectation. Yes, it is frustrated when your team is not being questioned enough by the judges, and we really don’t have a chance to explain our market research of why we did this app compare to other ideas on the environment.

During the award dinner – and this is the last dinner for GSY, all of us eager to know which team will win the best app for each category.

We lost eventually. Fuck it, I hate that moment for sure.

I told Agnes I wish to jump on my chair if we were announced as a winner. But God didn’t grant us. By the way, the winner for environment category is not really bad. They come out with a very good idea on how to convince and encourage peoples to plant trees.

I love that idea. It seems like supporting my proposal in my last article, Of Deforestation in Malaysia on how could we get more peoples to plant trees by making it fun do to so. They named it as PlantIt, by having a crowd fund to plant a tree for a particular location they tiny.

For me it sounds impressive without denying this idea might need more deep research. I met their team leader, and wish them luck for grand pitching tomorrow.

Global Startup Youth goes beyond my expectations. I should be grateful for the chance I got to be part of this great event in this year. I joined some international gathering this year, and GSY is one of the best at the moment  without including Global Power Shift, that much more awesome, to be honest.

I do appreciate since I am one of 250 Malaysian among 500 participants around the world. It was fully sponsored by the Malaysian government, so I went there on the capacity of Malaysian taxpayer money. That was the people’s money undoubtedly that government poured on us as a future investment to build a fully equip startup ecosystem in this country.

Using this statement, I should confess my broken heart towards some my fellow Malaysians who didn’t appreciate this opportunity and took it like, “I didn’t pay for any cent here so why I need to be a serious man? Enjoy the food, going to party and sleep at the 5-star hotel!” and the embarrassing one when you met someone who said, “Bro, why you so serious with all these GES talks? Chill man, 3 hari bukan boleh ubah apa-apa pun?!”.

That’s it. Period.

It’s all about attitude.

I didn’t take for granted of all these craps, but I think it is wise enough to remind these craps about the cause of these bullshit attitude towards this nation building in next couple of years.

Please, friends, behave with your words.

We need to realise the importance and urgency of this Summit and GSY mainly. As mentioned by Jonathan Ortmans in his writing for Special Edition of GES, this summit mainly focusing on how the policymakers are able to fine-tune their interest and reactions towards the development of entrepreneurial around the world especially in education, technology, communication, finance and lot more to named.

I put my thought on the Global Startup Youth as the pledge of Malaysian government towards this race. How GSY became the pledge, it was up to us to young generations of this country to answer precisely.

I kept believing in my government, as I put a high hope on my colleagues to behave with a right attitude towards this opportunity.

For Dash and all GSY team, thanks for your restless efforts.

I still remember when I met Dash for the first time in Rio de Janeiro last March during Global Entrepreneurship Congress 2013 and say hello to him after he delivered his talk at one of the fringe events there.

He was announced about the GSY-thing, as he said in next October 2013, Kuala Lumpur will host 500 youths around the world for a biggest ever boot camp.

Each country will be represented by two exceptional selected youth. I said to myself, I need to be one of them and to be part of that event. Yes, I make it at last. The opportunity didn’t come twice. During GEC2013, I still on the blur-phase about all these startup stuff and entrepreneurial-thing. Fortunately, this GSY just put me actually on the clear-water state, oh GOD thanks for this golden opportunity!

I met a lot of cool peoples around the world during GSY.

A party-maniac guy from Jamaica, a cool buddy from Cameroon, a stylish New York girl, a talkative Law girl from India, ambitious Pakistani guy, a do-not-know-how-to-stop-talking Moroccan guy, a half-Malaysian from New Zealand, a Filipinos geeks, some of French guys, lovely Latinos, and all of awesome peoples I met there.

I met Jennifer again, as usual, she is always inspiring and fully motivated!

I met Michael Teoh and told him my dream to go to Antarctic. I met David McLauglin, a guy from Google and told him my adoration towards +Project Loon and some other fascinating project like to prevent death.

Its sound ambitious and impossible, but as Larry Page said, Google is always a bit more ambitious compare to other company. It is awesome!

I love the plenary session for the 2nd day of GES. I hate few speakers from Malaysia who pretending like a hero, but actually a real succumb of bigotry, king of monopoly and politically linked to those in government for their personal interest and wealth. If you know what I meant.

A moment, please.

I try not to mentioned some of mismanaged and wrongdoing by some of GSY team, after your great work here. But this one is exempted, I still can't forgive a guy who responsible hold my GES security pass on the first day after my security check done. Shit man, you just mess up my 1st day of GES!

I lied to the police to get struck into the building after being caught at the front door of KLCC for didn’t have any security pass. It took me at least two hours to settle down everything before I manage to get the new one.

Thanks to Mariano, a mentor for Group 2 helping me for this. I don’t get why you ask us to let you hold our security pass, just like we don't seem capable to kept by our own. And the worse scenario is my friend told me you just lost it when she asks you about the security pass on the last day of GSY. To this guy, good job man, please keep it up!

Anyway, this is really an excellent experience. Not to mention about the last minute friendship at Marini’s On 57, bunch of laugh and ideas, Kit-Kat everywhere, hugs and loves and final goodbye to all major goosebumps I had ever met.

My two cents for GSY, kudos to Dash and teams. We are talking about the very little part of the nation building, and the big thing ahead is how to ensure this country is on the right track to prepare and breed a full equip ecosystem for startup. Sometimes we need a bit change to make the breath clear and sound.

I am absolutely sure Dash and teams have the answer.

See ya at Moscow and Morocco next year!

Note: I start to write this on the first day of GSY and end the writing 4 days after GES. I just too lazy to re-write the article so I kept the introduction. At first, I think it should be my GSY journal, then end up as a reflection on the whole event including GES.

Popular posts from this blog

Laila dan Majnun

Telah sampai cherita bahwa pada suatu hari Sultan Mahmud Ghaznawi menitahkan pesuruh2nya supaya membawa Laila menghadapnya agar dapat ditanyai peri kisah kekasihnya Majnun.

Apabila tiba Laila dihadapannya Baginda bertanya: "Wahai Laila, kau yang kechantikanmu mashhur seluruh alam; yang kasih sayangmu menjadi sumber segala puisi!—aku ingin menatap wajah Majnun, ingin tahu sifat rupa yang kau chintai dengan teguh dan jujur itu."

Maka Laila menjawab seraya menangis mengenangkan Majnun bahwa kekasihnya telah hilang tiada yang tahu kemana.

Mendengar ini Baginda menitahkan kepada pesuruh untuk menchari Majnun hingga dapat supaya dibawa dihadapannya. Pesuruh menchari dikota, dikampung, didusun hingga akhirnya diperpinggiran batasan negeri dan luasan padang pasir. Disitu beliau mendapat khabar bahwa ada seorang yang berdiam sebatang-kara dipadang pasir merayau merana senantiasa menzikirkan nama Laila bagai orang sudah gila.

Orang itu dibawa kehadapan Baginda Sultan yang, sambil terk…

Pengajaran Dari Sebuah Komik

Sejak kecil lagi, saya telah didedahkan dengan berbagai jenis komik bacaan ringan seperti Doraemon , Dewata Raya, Utopia, Naruto dan sebagainya. Namun ternyata saya lebih berminat untuk “mendalami” komik-komik Kung Fu karya penulis China seperti Tony Wong melalui karyanya Jejak Wira. Seperti biasa, kepulangan saya kali ini ke kampung halaman dalam misi menghabiskan beberapa buah Jejak Wira yang dibeli oleh abang semasa ketiadaan saya di rumah.

Ternyata plot ceritanya meskipun panjang dan tak pasti bila penghabisannya namun ia tetap tidak membosankan. Menjadi semakin menarik dan sukar bilamana ia melibatkan pergolakan politik dunia yang terang-terang menyebelahi siapa yang kuat dia yang menang.

Setelah “menelaah” kesemua komik muktabar ini saya seakan terpanggil untuk mengulas karya Tony Wong iaitu Jejak Wira yang mana saya kira ianya amat dekat dengan apa yang berlaku kini di dunia realiti.


Bagaimana para penguasa negara sanggup membutakan hati dan mata demi kepentingan nafsu mereka…

Homosexuals and The Idea of Abnormality

Once ago, my friend and me have a little chat about stuff—if not mistaken, we gossiping a hot Math teacher from Italy, and from where it began, we start talking about gay and LGBT.

The pinnacle of it was when my friend proudly declares the gay people is abnormal.

I just sit still, silent and stunned.

I should start somewhere. Here it is, for myself, to be abnormal is to be true to oneself. And it is a kind of freedom that I longingly seek and understand, that is to be true to yourself, to who you are.

It is a freedom to be able to against the flow. It is a freedom when we do not favor the external to validate ourselves. To do this, first, we have to be abnormal, in the eye of the many.

Anyway, I don’t mean to philosophize anything here. It is just a version of abnormality that I always think and perceived before, and luckily (no pun intended), that day comes when my friend bluntly declare homosexuality is abnormal.

And, I have to revisit my thought on abnormality.

I am OK with her…